One often wonders what or who a true contributor is!
In the professional world that I have spent donkeys years in, value add and contribution have assumed different meanings at different times.
In my own career these have been everything from operational customer centric transactions to creation of high end consulting solutions and transformation approaches.
In effect who is a true contributor that deserves respect and love(?), admiration and adulation from the team and peers as well as subordinates and superiors at the same time?
I may not be 100% accurate here, but from my observations over the last few years, I have come to believe that a true contributor possesses certain attributes that stand out in the crowd.
One would NEVER ever miss those!
- ROI is unquestionable – Always gives more than what he takes!
- Results may not always be guaranteed, but the effort, commitment can never be questioned!
- Quick learner and extremely flexible when it comes to aligning with the larger objectives!
- Dependable to the core…Trustworthy!
- Loyal to the cause (of the team), Puts the team before self…always!
Last but not the least, a true contributor always draws some bits from the past experiences of his predecessors, his seniors, makes the best use of his current capabilities and competencies and prepares for the future success of the team and self by planning ahead.
No wonder that a true contributor need not have a certain kind of experience, need not possess a certain management degree, need not also be of a certain age and grade/role/position. One just merely needs to display the frugal qualities of a good team player and a true CONTRIBUTOR!